Genetic information is increasingly being used to establish family relationships, usually but not exclusively paternity.
In the past this involved the taking of blood samples and so health professionals were invariably involved in the process, but developments in technology have led to tests being carried out on other material such as a few hair follicles or a mouth swab without medical involvement. As a result, paternity testing is now offered as a direct to the public service, using home testing kits or tests obtained via the internet and sent off for analysis.
Although samples from the putative father and the child are always required, it is no longer necessary for the mother to provide a sample in order to obtain a meaningful result. These developments have raised the possibility of samples being tested without the knowledge and consent of all parties.
If the result is unexpected or not the result you want, it can affect everyone involved for the rest of their lives.
It's a good idea to discuss the issues with your GP.
If you do decide to have a paternity test, you will have to pay for it. The cost varies depending on the test provider you use. It's important to use a company with high quality service and standards.
A home DNA test, or a “peace of mind” paternity test, is a paternity test in which the DNA samples are collected at home without the paperwork needed for a legal paternity test. It’s characterised by self-collection of the genetic sample by the test participants.
Our home paternity test is an extremely accurate test and will provide you with up to 99.99% probability of paternity in the case of an inclusion, and 0% in the case of exclusion. All tests are performed using 21 genetic markers to meet international testing standards and guarantee maximum accuracy. The paternity test can be performed with only the samples of the alleged father and the child you do not need to include the sample of the mother although recommended.
Our DNA testing kit will contain all you require to perform the test. We will send you oral swabs to rub on the inside of your mouth in order to collect cheek cells; hence, you will not need to go through painful blood sampling. All our kits contain comprehensive instructions. You can see online how easy it is to collect your DNA samples.
Results will be issued within 3 to 5 working days from receipt of your samples at the laboratory. Results for home paternity testing will be sent to you by email unless otherwise requested (additional charges may apply).
All home paternity tests are performed by an ISO17025 accredited laboratory which has performed over 250,000 DNA tests to date. You can, therefore, rest assured that your test is being performed under the strictest of guidelines.